Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Dahi handi ki yaadein



Story goes a long way back...We were kids then and Gokulastmi was the day we eagerly used to wait.


I used to feel the rush like that of the Drum Beats from a Heavy Metal song which pumps my adrenaline. Dahi Handi used to get me up all excited.
For starters Dahi handi is the festival in Maharashtra/Mumbai. It is an event marking the birth of Lord Krishna(Janmashtami) where a Pot with Curd and some money is tied between two tall rise buildings. It then has to be reached and broken.

The Money Factor goes up the higher the Handi is tied. though it not at all about the money. Just the achivement of being done that!!!

Our building boys were not the enterprising types. Dahi handi actually means forming a human chain of people standing one over another. It is the ultimate test of balance patience perseverance.

Unfortunately it also means a bad fall ;-).


Our building boyz used to tie the Dahi handi alright ... but never managed to break the pot by climbing in a formation.
But best part they tried it every time.

We kiddos used to have a different kind of Fun. Any rival groups which used to come to our lanes to break our handi were the prime targets. We used to fill water in baloons and throw it from behind crowds :) on them so as to give them a bad fall.

Yeah...that was rather Naive and Silly me...but it was a source of Fun for boys my age as we were not big enough to climb and the elders just would not let us.
Still it was a nerve wracking experience just observing the Other Teams across the street achieve the Feat.

Itz an experience which can only be experienced by being there.
yet again my heart yearns for the glimpses of Mumbai that built me. I wish I could start over again in the bylanes of Bombay.

Sometimes Time is such a mean thing...u can;t say roll over time.

So much for the Gheun Tak feeling yeah!
Amchi mumbai it remains....Kai sangu the nostalgic moments just get over me....!

Let me get back to my Black Sabbath Crazy Train!

~P

No comments: