Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Whatz an Equal opportunity employer ??

Last week I met a Bangalorean in Frankfurt. had an interesting discussion over tea with him.
He told me he quit his former company Philips because it was just not
An Equal Opportunity Employer.

Hell I always heard this phrase and never knew what it meant. over the course of the discussion I came to know that he was not being treated on par with employees from Philips parent office.

He explained how good Texas Instruments(his current employer) is in that respect.
He tells me there is no discrimination at all in treatment of employees across geographies.
Now that is something I was interested to know.
The arrangement and treatment for employees on travel to subsidiary offices would be equal through out the world. So an employee of TI from say Timbuktoo would stay in the same hotel as an employee of Ti US office :-).

Medical benefits, Commuting expenses are same across the length and breadth of the company. Except of course senior management. I have worked with two MNCs before my current employer and had observed pretty much these things before. Not that I miss those services in the current place I call home :-).
But yes these are good things to have. Also this friend of mine said he would not leave Ti as he would never find a better place than this.
Well Itz what appears to be the place to be :)). That apart, my experience teaches me that someone gives you respect demands respect and thats what equal opportunity is all about.
Somebody treats you fair enough, nobody would ever wanna leave such a work place.
Most causes of attrition are disparity between Managers and Developers.
Well I don't read much into
www.joelonsoftware.com since those are not right in the context India is in. But then Joel says everybody should get a private cubicle for creative work. That might be true in the US or Europe. But in india it simply boils down to a small private cubicle.
What joel says might be far fetched in India. But like my friend said who does not like some respect for a job well done.
In my experience Asian companies tend to think of short term gains and have make shift office spaces. Getting into the market before anyone has them pushing the Panic Buttons. This leaves them with very little scope for some after thought about Employees.

Huh...Talk about Creativity ! All that goes straight out of the window!

Disclaimer :These are my Opinions only and subject to change if things go sour :))

~P.

No comments: