Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Re-Discovery Channel

I was on a small sabbatical this week and watched some cool episodes of Discovery Channel. As I am in the profession of Debugging Software Faults some programmes I feel are meant for people like me who do Post-Mortem analysis(after the event occurs).

Of Particular interest are the Airplane Crashes. Some crashes have software glitches coupled with Human Error as the cause. And some have Human Errors resulting in Software Glitches due to wrong decision making as the actual cause.

Well I now realise that the Pilot and the air traffic controller;s job is a thankless job and one which requires a lot of concentration and precision.

@No point can they rest and risk hundreds of lives (both on board and on land). These episodes make me realise the complexities of software and the Horrors of the same leading to disasters if not handled properly.

Developing Software assumes a new dimension after one watches the Software Glitches brought out by Discovery Channel and national Geographic.
I would recommend these videos to a person who has just started out programming Embedded Devices as he needs to realise the Orthogonal impact and bearing of faulty software.

Kudos to the Channels , that way we can hope to learn fom others mistakes and weed out the *Bugs* in the Softwares, which can possibly save many lives.


~Prasanna.

No comments: